Opportunities to Give
The Department of Neurology at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine prides itself on the service, research, and education it provides. As the health care environment has changed, the University is less able to support its research and educational activities from patient revenues and there is a greater need for philanthropic support. Our Department has established a series of programs to which one can contribute funds in order to help its mission.
Area or Field of Contribution
- Cognitive Disorders – Support in this area will help provide funding needed for the research and patient educational components of the Alzheimer’s disease and Cognitive Disorders program.
- Epilepsy – Support in this area will help provide funding for The International Center for Epilepsy (ICE) at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine in such areas as new facilities and equipment, new therapies and clinical trials, identifying epilepsy risk factors on geriatric epilepsy and examining the effects of drug interactions
- Interventional Neurology– Support in this area will advance research in the treatment of the devastating condition of Acute Ischemic Stroke. Ongoing studies are looking at bringing the promise of stem cell therapy for acute stroke and conducting clinical research in new devices in the treatment of acute stroke.
- Multiple Sclerosis – Support in this area will promote better diagnosis and treatment of the disease, develop new tests that will detect multiple sclerosis activity and possible gene identifiers, as well as continue working toward a cure. It will also support programs and treatments that maximize independence and quality of life for people who have this chronic disease.
- Neuro-Muscular Disorders – Support in this area will help provide funding for the clinic services and research.
- Neuro-Oncology – Support in this area will promote better facilities and diagnosis and treatment of the disease.
- Movement Disorders and Parkinson’s disease – Support in this area will be aimed at improving facilities, research into better understanding of causal factors and education, seminars and treatments that maximize independence and quality of life for people who have Movement Disorders. Treatment may include medication, surgery, and rehabilitation therapy.
- Sleep Disorders – Support in this area will help provide funding for facilities and research across many diseases which interrupt or cause abnormal sleep patterns.
- Stroke – Support in this area will allow expansion of our programs aimed at early detection, treatment, recovery, rehabilitation and prevention of stroke.
Levels of Contribution
|Endowed Chair $2 Million each ($150,000 per year/min 5 years)|
These are some examples of giving opportunities to benefit the Department of Neurology.
|Cognitive Disorders||Multiple Sclerosis||Sleep Disorders|
|Movement Disorders/Parkinson’s disease||Pediatric Neurology|
A named chair is awarded to an academic scholar who has attained national and international prominence. The endowment provides income for the compensation of a physician or research scientist for a designated period of time.
|Endowed Professorship $1 Million each ($80,000 per year/minimum 3 years)|
The income from this endowment will supplement the annual compensation of scholars who have attained national recognition in their field for a designated period of time.
|Endowed Postdoctoral Fellowship $500,000 ($50,000 per year/minimum 3 years)|
The income from this endowment will provide salary support for postdoctoral fellows beginning his/her career in research or for fellows wanting to refocus their area of study. Commitments are usually one to three years.
|Clinical and Basic Science Research Fund $250,000+|
A research fund can be named in honor of a donor. Income from research endowments will help support the cutting edge research programs of the Department. Commitments are usually one to three years.
|Named Career Development Award $100,000+|
|This support will be allocated to a laboratory clinical investigator whose work is in the field selected by the donor. Alternatively, the donor may wish to have the grant allocated by the department as needed.|
|Facilities and Equipment $15 Million|
Provide new state of the art clinical and research facilities and equipment.